Skip to main content

Communication Sciences and Disorders

Our Degrees and Certificates

The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders offers the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Speech and Hearing Science, the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) graduate certificate, the Master of Science (MS) degree in Speech-Language Pathology, the Professional Doctorate of Audiology (AuD) degree, and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.

Our BS degree in Speech and Hearing Science is the preparatory degree for our MS degree in Speech-Language Pathology and our AuD degree in Audiology.  The SLPA graduate certificate prepares individuals to work under the direct supervision of Speech-Language Pathologists in public schools. A Master's degree is the minimum degree required to be able to practice as a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist in the United States. The AuD is the minimum degree required to practice as a licensed audiologist. Our PhD program is designed for training outstanding research scientists in the fields of communication disorders and speech and hearing sciences.

Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders

390 South 1530 East, Suite 1201 BEH SCI
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

Communications Sciences building


The Master of Science (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology (residential) and the Doctor of Audiology (AuD) education program in audiology (residential) at the University of Utah are accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.