Fall Semesters Section
In-person attendance required. Externships are typically offered in the following counties: Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Wasatch, Tooele, and Utah. If you can attend in-person and would like to pursue an externship in a county not listed, please contact the program director to assess feasibility.
Application portal opens March 1st, 2022 and due by April 15th,2022
Spring Semesters Section (BEGINNING IN 2023)
Online format. This section is geared towards prospective students who are not able to attend the program in person. Specifically, it aims to support applicants from rural areas, live outside of the Wasatch Front, or live out-of-state. Externships are NOT offered in counties listed in the Fall Semester Section.
Application portal opens July 5th, 2022 and due by August 12th, 2022
- CSD 6100: Foundations of Clinical Practice for the Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (3 credit hours)
- CSD 6110: Field-Base Clinical Externship (12 credit hours)
- A bachelor's degree from a Speech-Language Pathology or Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) program that is part of an accredited institution/program (i.e. matriculated students)
- A bachelor's degree in another field of study other than CSD and have completed all University of Utah CSD and Allied Heath required coursework prior to applying to the SLPA program (i.e. non-matriculated students)
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 for matriculated students and 2.5 for non-matriculated students
- No lower than a B- in Major coursework
- 25 observation hours of a school-based speech-language pathologist
C-SLPA certification eligibility from AHSA requires specific coursework and clinical experiences. Our program meets ASHA’s requirements and will qualify a student to take the SLPA certification exam offered through ASHA.
For specific state and national certification requirements, contact the department office.
For more questions about the SLPA program, please contact: Dr. Tyler Christopulos, Director of SLPA Certificate Graduate Program at email@example.com