Nutrition & Integrative Physiology (NUIP)
Our department houses an active group of researchers, educators, and trainees dedicated to understanding how maintenance of metabolic health combats the development and progression of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
We maintain active engagement with other programs within University of Utah Health and endeavor to translate new research findings into clinical procedures and community outreach programs that improve quality of life. We welcome you to peruse our website to get a sense of the breadth of our research interests, degree programs, and outreach initiatives.
- Understand the metabolic underpinnings of chronic disease
- Produce the next generation of exceptional registered dietitians and research scholars
- Address systemic issues of health inequity to reduce health disparities
- Apply rigorous evidence-based standards to improve interdisciplinary health care
Letter From the Chair
Built thematically around the topic of “translational metabolic health,” our researchers, clinicians, educators, and trainees are dedicated to understanding how nutrient homeostasis influences the development and progression of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer...
Scott A. Summers, PhD
2023 Annual Newsletter
Learn about NUIP's recent advancements in research, education, community engagement, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Will Holland and colleagues launched a new summer internship program
- Shannon Jones received the Bennion Center Distinguished Faculty Service Award
- Mary Playdon led a multi-PI team of investigators to get a $5M NIH-U01 grant
- Sihem Boudina and colleagues made a major discovery in cardiomyopathy research
- Theresa Dvorak and her team continue to expand and develop Culinary Medicine
- NUIP launches new Metabolic Research Kitchen
- NUIP students continue to excel by winning awards, publishing exceptional papers, presenting at international conferences, and obtaining outstanding positions after graduation