Graduate Assistantships: General Information
- In most cases, graduate student funding also includes full waiver of graduate tuition.
- Minimum stipends required for full tuition waiver change regularly (see below).
- Classification of graduate students who receive funding include:
- TA (teaching assistants): teaching must be part of the student’s responsibility
- RA (research assistants): must be paid from an external research grant account
- GA (graduate assistants): paid by a department but not by an external research grant account, no teaching involved
- Graduate fellows: paid by fellowship that does not cover tuition
- TAs and RAs receiving a full tuition waiver are eligible for the Graduate School’s subsidized health insurance policy (see below).
Tuition Benefit Program (TBP)
All students receiving a tuition waiver of any sort must be familiar with the TBP guidelines. A 3.0 GPA must be maintained by all students on the TBP. Please refer to the Graduate School website for more information.
- All students on the TBP must sign paperwork in the Kinesiology office at the beginning of each semester.
- All students on the TBP must register for a minimum of 9-12 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester. The TBP only covers graduate-level coursework. TAs, GAs, and Graduate fellows are recommended to register for 12 credit hours. If students register for more than 12 credit hours, than they will have to pay for the additional tuition. TAs, GAs, and Graduate fellows are not supported on the TBP in summer semester.
- RAs may register for up to 11 credit hours per semester. RAs who register for more than 11 credit hours will have to pay for the additional tuition. In some cases, RAs may receive TBP support in summer semester for 3 credit hours.
- All students on the TBP must pay special fees (such as lab and course fees).
Graduate Student Health Insurance
All TAs and RAs receiving a full waiver of tuition may choose to receive subsidized health insurance. Eligible students must accept or decline the subsidized health insurance policy by completing the declaration form at the beginning of each fall and spring semester.
- Go to the Graduate School website for more information about the Student Health Insurance Program. GAs and Graduate fellows are not eligible for the subsidized health insurance policy, but may still pay for the policy in full. TAs and RAs who do not receive a full tuition waiver are not eligible for the subsidized health insurance policy, but may still pay for the policy in full.
Scholarships and Other Funding for Current Graduate Students
- Research Assistantships:
- RA opportunities may be awarded by individual faculty members with research funding.
- Please click here to view graduate scholarships and fellowships.
Institutional Financial Aid and Housing
More information can be found on the University of Utah Financial Aid page.
General U of U Financial Aid Contact
Financial Aid and Scholarships
- 201 South 1460 East, Room 105
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112
On-Campus Housing Contact
- Office of Residential Living
- 5 Heritage Center
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-2036
- University Student Apartments
- 1945 Sunnyside Ave.
- Salt Lake City, UT 84108