Skip to main content

Parks, Recreation, & Tourism student Resources

This page contains professional development, financial aid, and advisor information for PRT students

Join the Recreation And Parks Society (RAPS)

RAPS helps you network and grow your opportunities with fellow students and faculty members within the PRT department. We hold several activities a year designed to help interested students explore their interest in PRT and career options, and you don't even have to be a PRT student to join.

Financial Aid


See available scholarships.


Students are required to participate in an internship to graduate. Learn more about interships for PRT degree programs.


Students typically make up a portion of their educational costs with long-term loans. University students participate in the National Direct Student Loan, Health Professions Student Loan, Guaranteed Student Loan, and Health Education Assistance Loan programs. More information on student loan programs at the University of Utah can be obtained by calling the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at 801-581-6211.


The University of Utah's general tuition schedule can provide information on tuition due dates. Out-of-state students must apply for Utah residency status after completion of 40 graduate-level semester credit hours of course work. Further information on residency for tuition purposes is available by clicking here.

The Coordinated Master's Program is a professional degree program and is assigned differential tuition in addition to the standard tuition.

Students may use the University's differential tuition calculator to calculate the approximate cost of tuition for both in-state and. out-of-state tuition.


You've got questions and our advisors are here for you. Find your advisor below with the best way to cotact them.

Eric Gardner

Senior Academic Advisor, Parks, Recreation & Tourism

Phone: 801-585-0832


Jim Sibthorp

Associate Professor, Parks, Recreation & Tourism

Phone: 801-581-5940


Dorothy L. Schmalz, Ph.D.

Interim Department Chair, Parks, Recreation & Tourism

Phone: 801-585-6503