Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Scholarships
Parks, Recreation, and Tourism (PRT) in the Department of Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation is pleased to offer a variety of scholarships and awards to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. Scholarships are merit-based and/or need-based, and may or may not include a financial prize.
PRT scholarships and awards are made possible through the generous support of donors and alumni. We gratefully acknowledge their contributions to the success of our students and our field. To donate to Parks, Recreation, and Tourism scholarship program, please contact PRT Director Kelly Bricker (email@example.com).
Scholarship Application Deadline
The deadline for all scholarships is Friday, January 29th, 2021 @ Midnight.
Eligibility (Base Criteria)
- Applicant must be a declared major in an undergraduate degree program or enrolled in a graduate degree program in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism
- Applicant must have completed a minimum of nine (9) credit hours (undergraduate students) or six (6) credit hours (graduate students) in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or an international student who is lawfully present in the U.S.
Students submit one application for all scholarships which is submitted electronically. The application will allow you to return to finish your submission if you use the same computer and browser. If you wish to be considered for a specific scholarship that requires extra materials, please include those materials in the last step of the electronic application. If you are unable to upload or copy your extra materials, please submit these materials to the PRT office by the application deadline. Please click here to access the scholarship application link. All applications will require a completed application containing the following information: personal information, department affiliation, degree sought/emphasis area
Personal and program required information
- Personal, department, degree, and emphasis (if applicable)
- Credits completed in PRT and your PRT GPA, as well as your University GPA
- Academic, extra-curricular, professional, and scholarly accomplishments (honors courses, special summer programs, technical training, exhibits, etc.)
- Scholarships, awards, grants, and FAFSA (Complete online form to demonstrate need at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Letters of recommendation are not required.
Additional documentation required for some scholarships
- Gary D. Ellis Scholarship (requires abstract and budget submission)
- Scholarship in Outdoor Recreation Leadership (requires essay)
- NOLS and PRT Faculty and Staff Quasi Scholarship (requires essay and concept & skills analysis)
- Dr. Linn R. Rockwood Endowed Scholarship (requires professional paper)
What to include for experience in the field of parks, recreation, and tourism
- Seasonal or part-time work
- Fieldwork or internships
- Volunteer work
- Full-time work
Award Acceptance and Follow-up
Award recipients will be notified in March 2021.
Award recipients are expected to do the following:
- Accept or decline offer by date on scholarship agreement
- Write thank you letter with a brief biographical sketch to scholarship donor(s)
- Attend the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Awards Luncheon in April
- Attend University of Utah Health's Scholarship Awards Luncheon, if invited. This event usually takes place during the month of September in the evening.
Financial Need will be determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Seventeen of the scholarships are needs-based and can only be awarded to students that are FAFSA certified. Please use the following link to complete your FAFSA application.
Other University of Utah Scholarship Resources
- College of Health scholarships
- University of Utah Scholarships
- Women’s Resource Center Scholarships
- Office for Equity and Diversity – Undergraduate Diversity Scholarships
- Veterans Support Center Scholarships
- Lowell Bennion Community Service Center – Funding Opportunities
- Learning Abroad – Global Engagement Scholarships
- Honors College Scholarships
External Scholarships and Awards
Please contact your parks, recreation, and tourism professional associations to inquire about additional scholarships and funding opportunities.