We have provided information to help you apply for the SLP Master's program. Feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
The minimum GPA requirement for admission is a 3.0. Our average admission profile for an incoming graduate student for Fall 2019 was a 3.83 GPA and a GRE score of 309. These are only averages, and we admit candidates above and below these values.
Prospective graduate students, including University of Utah seniors, apply for admission through the University of Utah Apply Yourself online application system.
The entire application is due January 15th.
Application Materials for Submission
- Transcripts: All of your transcripts need to be submitted within the Apply Yourself application portal. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable The transcripts must have the school's name and should be legible.
- GRE: The GRE is required for 2022. Use institution code 4853 for the University of Utah. ETS will allow students to test for the GRE at home remotely. The GRE General Test taken at home is a safe and convenient option for test takers who prefer to take their test at home rather than at a test center. The at home test is identical to a test center, and is taken on your own computer at home. All at home tests are monitored by a human proctor online and is available around the clock, seven days a week. The ETS/GRE website gives you more information and registration instructions.
- Statement of Purpose: The application requires you to address several important components. Complete the Statement of Purpose and include it with your application.
- Writing Sample: Provide a 2-5 page original writing sample. The writing sample can be an academic paper, however, it must be a clean copy and your own work. It cannot be a group project. Clinical reports are not acceptable.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required. These letters should preferably be from faculty that teach Speech-Language-Hearing courses. Note: Current University of Utah students must complete the Permission to Release Education Record for each U of U faculty member for letters of recommendation. Please allow ample time for the faculty member to assist you with this part of the application process.
If English is not your native language, please arrange to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) so that the scores are received by January 15th for the fall semester. The University's requirements for the TOEFL is a minimum score of 80 on the internet-based test. The requirement for the IELTS is a score of 6.5. We will weigh the entire application to determine the ability of the student to complete the program successfully.