Skip to main content

Withdrawing from a Class

The University provides a withdrawal process for students who have a non-academic, well-documented emergency that has interfered with their ability to complete classes. The withdrawal process at the University of Utah is outlined in the Student Handbook.

Petitions can be either current term (filing date before the last day of class of the term in progress) or past term (within three years of affected term). Please realize that withdrawals affect and perhaps jeopardize other areas of your academic life such as:

  • Financial aid
  • Scholarships
  • VA Benefits
  • Grants
  • Loans
  • Residential living contracts

If you are involved with these areas, check with those offices before you begin the withdrawal process to ensure you do not incur additional penalties.

Current Term Petitions

Students should address difficulties with courses as soon as possible. If the petition can be filed before the last day of classes in the affected semester, the petition is handled by the Dean’s Office of the student’s declared major. Students may complete the petition form, attach a personal statement detailing the issue(s) and include supporting documentation. Petitions must have official supporting documentation (such as letterhead from Medical office, a hospital bill, an obituary) to be complete.

If the student’s major is in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Exercise and Sport Science, Health Promotion and Education, Nutrition, Occupational Therapy, Parks, Recreation and Tourism or Physical Therapy, they will file their petition with the College of Health. The Assistant Dean can review the process and requirements with students. All majors must submit their petition to the Assistant Dean in the College of Health. The Dean’s Office will add a letter of either support or non-support and send the file to the Registrar’s Office for action.

Current term petition form

Past Term Petitions

Past term petitions also are turned in at the Dean’s Office of the student's declared major. The process is fully outlined at the Registrar's website along with the petition form. Please note: Petition requests must be submitted within three years of the affected term(s) or prior to graduation from the University, whichever comes first.

Still need help?

Ask our advisors for assitance with petitions or any other questions about a degree in the College of Health