The mission of the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Rehabilitation Science Program is to advance the scientific knowledge underlying the clinical practice of rehabilitation through the development of expertise in research, teaching, and professional service. Applicants should have a strong interest in research, teaching, and service in a rehabilitation-related field. Applicants should also have a master’s or clinical doctoral degree in an area related to the health sciences and rehabilitation (e.g., DPT, MD, etc.). The exceptional student with a bachelor's degree and compelling clinical/research experience in the health sciences will also be considered.
Potential PhD students should contact a faculty member with a common research interest prior to making application to the PhD program as students will only be accepted to the PhD program under the mentorship of a faculty member. This, however does not guarantee acceptance into the PhD program.
Applicants to the University of Utah PhD in Rehabilitation Science Program will complete an on-line application.
The application and instructions are located at: https://app.applyyourself.com//?id=utahgrad or via the link Graduate Admissions Application. More information on graduate admissions is available on the University of Utah Graduate Admissions website and on the Graduate Admissions Application instructions. Please be aware that one unofficial set of transcripts from EACH college that you have attended will need to be uploaded to the application site. Students may enter the PhD Program in Rehabilitation Science in either the fall or spring semester.
Additionally, the online graduate student application has several sections:
- Please fill out the Basic Information Section.
- Program Information - Program of Interest Section: choose “Rehabilitation Science PhD” as the intended graduate program and degree and “Not Applicable” as the emphasis area.
- Academic Interests and Background - Curriculum Vitae-Resume Section: submit a completed copy of the Curriculum Vitae Form.
- Academic Interests and Background - Statement of Purpose Section: submit a written statement (less than 1000 words) describing your professional interests and career aspirations. Include research experiences and interests.
- Academic Interests and Background - Writing-Sample-Essay-Publication Section: submit a publication or a duplicate copy of your Statement of Purpose.
- Recommendations Section: provide the names of 3-5 individuals who will be providing letters of reference.
Requirements for Program Completion
Students admitted to the PhD program will need to complete all courses in the program of study, successfully complete a qualifying examination, and a written and oral dissertation defense. Required coursework includes:
- core courses in a selected area of emphasis
- courses in research design and methods
- rehabilitation science seminars
Further details on the areas of emphasis and plan of study for the PhD program in Rehabilitation Science can be found in the PhD Student Handbook.