Prerequisite Courses for the Master of Athletic Training
Certain classes, approvals, and clinical observation hours are required before seeking admission to the Master's of Athletic Training program. There are additional classes that are not required but strongly recommended.
- C or better in all prerequisite courses
- Cumulative & prerequisite GPA of 3.0 or higher
- All classes at the post-secondary level
- (No GRE required)
- Biology - 1 semester
- Chemistry and Lab -1 semester
- Physics and Lab - 1 semester
- Human Anatomy and Lab - 1 semester
- Human Physiology - 1 semester
- * If Human Anatomy and Physiology are combined, must take year series.
- Statistics - 1 semester
- Biomechanics - 1 semester
- Exercise Physiology - 1 semester
- Nutrition - 1 semester
- Psychology - 1 semester
All courses must be completed before entering the Master of Athletic Training Program. Human anatomy and lab and human physiology must be completed with a final grade at the time of the application.
Clinical Observation Hours
- Minimum of 50 hours with a certified athletic trainer (ATC).
We have included frequently asked questions regarding changes in higher education due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please review the linked pdf document. If you have further questions about how COVID-19 has impacted your application, please reach out to us. We want to answer all your questions and make sure you get all of the appropriate information for your application to the University of Utah Master of Athletic Training.
Preferred courses, but not prerequisites. (These courses will not be required during the application process nor will they be counted toward your prerequisite GPA. However, these courses will give you a better background for material covered in the MSAT.)
- Medical terminology - 1 semester
- Introduction to Sports Medicine or Athletic Training - 1 semester
- Physics with Lab - 2nd semester, making it a 1-year series
- Upper Division Psychology