Future applicants to the University of Utah Doctor of Physical Therapy program:
We are going through an unprecedented crisis with COVID-19. Many of you have had interruptions to your daily life. We are aware and sensitive to these changes and hope that you and your families are safe during these difficult times.
For many at our undergraduate institutions, because of the transition to online learning, a Pass/Fail or Credit/No-Credit grading system has been adopted.
To accommodate these changes, anyone enrolled in Spring 2020 for a prerequisite to our DPT program is not required to earn a letter grade. Applicants will not be penalized for Pass/Fail or Credit/No-Credit marks on their transcripts in any classes taken Spring 2020. The Admissions Committee understands this change and will not hold it against individual applicants.
In turn, we are also closely monitoring the situation when it comes to our other criteria, including observation hours, shadowing experiences, community service, leadership ability, the GRE, etc. We will continue to work with our national and local partners including the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT), American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), PTCAS (Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service), and the Graduate Records Examination (GRE).
Thank you for your patience during these difficult times.
What You Need to Know Before You Apply
We've compiled a list of courses and what you need before you apply. We've included deadlines and important dates with the list of classes. Information can change, so meet with an advisor on a regular basis, at least once a year.
PTCAS Application Deadline
Thursday, October 1st, 2020
Friday, January 22, 2021 There are no alternate dates. If invited, plan for inclement weather.
Applicants must complete all prerequisite requirements to be admitted. This information is subject to change without written notice or obligation.
- All coursework must be taken for a letter grade. Any coursework with a grade below C will not be considered toward fulfillment of the program's prerequisites. C minus is NOT acceptable.
- If a course is repeated, the Physical Therapy Department will calculate the highest grade achieved in the course when calculating the Prerequisite GPA on your PTCAS application.
The following courses must be completed and graded prior to submitting your PTCAS application. These courses must be taken within 7 years from the date of application. No exceptions will be made:
- Human Anatomy with lab - one course with lab. Mammalian or vertebrate anatomy will not fulfill this requirement.
- Human Physiology - one course; lab not required but strongly recommended. Mammalian or vertebrate physiology will not fulfill this requirement.
- Physics series with associated labs- one year series of physics.
- Chemistry series with associated labs- one year series of chemistry.
In addition to the previously mentioned prerequisites, the following courses must be completed. Only two of the following courses can be in progress or planned for completion by mid-May prior to starting the DPT program.
- Exercise Physiology with lab- one course taken in the past 7 years from date of application
- Trigonometry OR Calculus OR Pre-Calculus - one course taken in the past 10 years from date of application. (An AP test score of 4 or higher in Trigonometry or calculus can fulfill this requirement; your score must be viewable on your application)
- General Psychology - (AP NOT ACCEPTED) one course within 10 years from date of application. An additional psychology course may be used in lieu of general psychology
- Additional Psychology- one course within 10 years from the date of application. Must be taken through a Psych department. ESS/Kinesiology Sports Psychology courses will NOT meet this requirement.
- Statistics -(AP NOT ACCEPTED) one course taken in the past 10 years from date of application; NOT an introductory course. Statistics course must cover ANOVA (analysis of variation), correlation, and regression testing.* (Please submit course description and syllabus if you have questions to firstname.lastname@example.org)
All prerequisite coursework must be completed by the end of spring semester, prior to the start of the DPT program (Summer Semester; mid-May).
Prerequisite Courses (articulations) from other Utah Schools that satisfy University of Utah DPT program requirements. Click here to download a list of courses at area institutions
Other Application Requirements
The advisor for the Physical Therapy program is Kaitlyn Tippetts. Info sessions are encouraged PRIOR to scheduling individual advising. Book an appointment by clicking the 'Book Now' icon on any of our admissions pages. You may also email your specific questions or concerns to email@example.com. Sending an email will guarantee the fastest response time.
Students needing general university advising for general education or bachelor degree requirements should contact University College at 801-581-5146 or visit their website.