Skip to main content

Application Process & Deadlines

Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Scholarships

Parks, Recreation, and Tourism (PRT) in the Department of Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation is pleased to offer a variety of scholarships and awards to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. Scholarships are merit-based and/or need-based, and may or may not include a financial prize.

PRT scholarships and awards are made possible through the generous support of donors and alumni. We gratefully acknowledge their contributions to the success of our students and our field. To donate to Parks, Recreation, and Tourism scholarship program, please contact PRT Director Kelly Bricker (


Scholarship Application Deadline

The deadline for all scholarships is Friday, January 25, 2019 (midnight).

Eligibility (Base Criteria)

  • Applicant must be a declared major in an undergraduate degree program or enrolled in a graduate degree program in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism
  • Applicant must have completed a minimum of nine (9) credit hours (undergraduate students) or six (6) credit hours (graduate students) in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism
  • Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or an international student who is lawfully present in the U.S.

Application Process

The application is submitted electronically. Please click here to access the scholarship application link.

All applications will require a completed application containing the following information:

  • Personal information
  • Department affiliation
    • Degree sought/emphasis area
    • Credits completed in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism
    • University of Utah GPA and/or Parks, Recreation, and Tourism GPA
  • Academic and work information
    • Scholarly and professional development accomplishments (honors courses, special summer programs, technical training, exhibits, etc.)
    • Scholarships, awards and grants
    • Paid or volunteer work in the field of parks, recreation and tourism
    • Involvement in PRT, HKR, College of Health, or University of Utah activities, committees, and events
    • Other extra-curricular activities
    • Memberships in professional parks, recreation and tourism organizations and responsibilities held
    • Online FAFSA form to demonstrate need (
    • Letters of recommendation are not required.
    • Additional documentation is required for the following scholarships:
      • Gary D. Ellis Scholarship (requires abstract and budget submission)
      • Scholarship in Outdoor Recreation Leadership (requires essay)
      • NOLS and PRT Faculty and Staff Quasi Scholarship (requires essay and concept & skills analysis)
      • Dr. Linn R. Rockwood Endowed Scholarship (requires professional paper)

For scholarships that require “experience in the field of parks, recreation, and tourism,” applicants should show evidence of one or more of the following:

  • Seasonal or part-time work
  • Fieldwork or internships
  • Volunteer work
  • Full-time work

Please fill out ONE application form. The application will allow you to return to finish your submission if you use the same computer and browser. If you wish to be considered for a specific scholarship that requires extra materials, please include those materials in the last step of the electronic application. If you are unable to upload or copy your extra materials, please submit these materials to the PRT office by the application deadline.

Award Acceptance and Follow-up

Award recipients will be notified in March 2019.

Award recipients are expected to do the following:

  1. Accept or decline offer by date on scholarship agreement
  2. Write thank you letter with a brief biographical sketch to scholarship donor(s)
  3. Attend the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Awards Luncheon in April
  4. Attend University of Utah Health's Scholarship Awards Luncheon, if invited. This event usually takes place during the month of September in the evening. 

Financial Need

Financial Need will be determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Seventeen of the scholarships are needs-based and can only be awarded to students that are FAFSA certified. Please use the following link to complete your FAFSA application. 

FAFSA website

Help and Assistance

With questions, comments, or to report a technical bug, please send an email to Paul Petersen ( or Vanessa Tuckett ( Please include your name, your UnID, and a thorough description of your question and/or issue.

For more information about the scholarships offered by Parks, Recreation, and Tourism in the Department of Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation please contact:

  • Kelly Bricker, PhD
  • Program Director
  • 801-585-6503
  • Dan Dustin, PhD
  • Professor
  • 801-585-7560
  • Eric Gardner
  • Undergraduate Academic Advisor
  • 801-585-0832