- Stehr, D.A., Hickok, G., Ferguson, S.H., & Grossman, E.D. Examining vocal attractiveness through measures of articulatory working space. Accepted for publication in Journal of the Acoustical Society of America on July 6, 2021.
- Payne, B.R., Silcox, J., Lash, A., Ferguson, S.H., & Lohani, M. (2021) Text captioning buffers against the effects of background noise and hearing loss on memory for speech. Ear and Hearing. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0000000000001079
- Schilaty, S., Ferguson, S.H., Morgan, S.D., & Champougny, C. (2021). Intelligibility of British English for American younger and older adults with and without hearing loss. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 32, 10-15. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1719094
- Behrman, A., Ferguson, S.H., & Flom, P. (2020). The effects of clear speech on American English listener perception of Spanish-accented and native English speech. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, 5, 1698-1709. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_PERSP-19-00171
- Johnson, E., Morgan, S., & Ferguson, S.H. (2020). Does time compression decrease intelligibility for female talkers more than for male talkers? Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 63, 1083-1092. doi: 10.1044/2020_JSLHR-19-00301
- Behrman, A., Ferguson, S. H., Akhund, A., & Moeyaert, M. (2019). The effect of clear speech on temporal metrics of rhythm in Spanish-accented speakers of English. Language and speech, 62(1), 5-29. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0023830917737109
- Ferguson, S.H., & Morgan, S.D. (2018). Acoustic and perceptual correlates of subjectively rated sentence clarity in clear and conversational speech. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 61, 159-173. doi:10.1044/2017_JSLHR-H-17-0082
Selected Poster Presentations
- Wageck, M., Ferguson, S.H., & Young, E.D. (2021, October). What makes clear speech angry? Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology Institute, Raleigh, NC.
- *Young, E. D., Brewer, L.M., & Ferguson, S. H. (2021, March). Feasibility Testing of a Microphone System to Facilitate Patient Communication During Noninvasive Ventilation: Preliminary Results. Utah Speech-Language Hearing Association 2021 Conference, Virtual Conference.
- *Young, E., Ferguson, S. (2020, December). Talker Differences in Clear and Conversational Speech: Perceived Emotional Valence. 179th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Virtual Conference.
- Hunter, E., & Ferguson, S.H. (2018, November). The aging voice: Perceived age & voice quality. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention, Boston, MA.
- Payne, B.R., Silcox, J., Lash, A., Ferguson, S.H., & Lohani, M. (2018, September). Assistive text captioning offsets the effects of background noise on speech memory and pupillometry. Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology Institute, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Ferguson, S.H., Behrman, A., & Madsen, C.N. (2018, September). The effect of clear speech on listener perception of nonnative speech. Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology Institute, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Berardi, M.L., Staples, J.J., Ferguson, S.H., & Hunter, E.J. (2018, May). Speech formant changes due to repeated measurements, instruction, and simulated environments using both automated and manual feature extraction. 175th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Minneapolis, MN.