Guide and information about the four year Bachelors of Science degree in Recreational Therapy including current classes and which semester we recommend taking them, advising information, and application requirements.
Recreational Therapy Bachelors Degree Plan
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA required prior to enrolling in RECTH 3330 and RECTH 4300.
- RECTH 3330 and RECTH 4300 must be taken concurrently.
- The Recreational Therapy Program requires that students complete compliance requirements which include a criminal background check, BLS certification, immunizations and proof of health insurance within the first two weeks of the semester. A complete list can be found below.
- RECTH courses may only be attempted twice. If minimum grade is not earned on second attempt, contact the RT academic advisor.
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA required prior to enrolling in RECTH 5828.
- All compliance requirements must be completed and recorded in CastleBranch prior or enrolling in RECTH 5828.
- All RECTH course work must be successfully completed with a grade of C or better prior to enrollment in RECTH 5828.
- All supportive coursework must be completed with a C or better prior to enrollment in RECTH 5828.
- All university graduation requirements - including any minor coursework - must be completed prior to RECTH 5828.
|Course #||Course Name||Credit Hours|
|RECREATIONAL THERAPY REQUIRED COURSES|
|RECTH 3330||Foundations of Recreational Therapy||3|
|RECTH 4300||Recreational Therapy and Indiv with Intellectual Disabilities||3|
|RECTH 3360||Assessment, Documentation and Eval in Recreation Therapy||4|
|RECTH 4310||Recreational Therapy and Older Adults||3|
|RECTH 4320||Recreational Therapy and Physical Medicine||3|
|RECTH 5360||Techniques and Facilitation in Recreational Therapy||3|
|RECTH 4330||Recreational Therapy and Mental Health Services||3|
|RECTH 5300||Management in Recreational Therapy||3|
|RECTH 5350||Advancement of Recreational Therapy Clinical and Prof Analysis||3|
|RECTH 5828||Recreational Therapy Internship||12|
|REQUIRED SUPPORTIVE COURSE WORK|
|BIOL 2325 AND
|Human Anatomy AND
Human Physiology (AS)
H EDU 4650
|Anat and Phys for Health||4|
|FCS 1500 OR
|PSY 2300||Psych of Abnormal Behavior||3|
Social Stats (QB & QI)
|PRT 5395||Financial Management (QI)||3|
|ALTERNATE HEALTH CARE COURSE (take one)|
|H EDU 5100
H EDU 3050
H EDU 5300
|Health Care in the USA
Community Health Issues
Diversity and Health (DV & CW)
Sociology of Health
Families, Consumers & Health
Intro to Disabilities Studies (DV)
Must take at least 3 credits (Social Science or Humanities). The class will need to contribute to understanding of health and human services and/or reinforce the students’ area of specialization. If supportive course work is less than 26 credits, additional electives will be added to enhance supportive coursework hours. Course options from FCS, GERON, H EDU, NUTR, PHIL, PRT, PSY, SOC, SP ED, cultural focus. Students may wish to consider a minor or a certificate (https://advising.utah.edu/majors/quick-look/index.php) to enhance their recreational therapy curriculum.
|Sub-Total||26 or 30|
|Total Credits for Major||66|
Students may transfer supportive courses to the University of Utah to fill major requirements. Please note: Some of these courses may have prerequisites. It is the students responsibility to ensure that the local institution's course requirements are met prior to enrolling in these classes.
Recreational Therapy Supportive Courses Transfer Guide (PDF) Updated Aug2020
We are unable to accept RT/TR courses from other schools to fill our major requirements.
Sample Semester Plan
To bring practical/hands-on experience and to further emphazise the course content, RECTH 4300, 4310, 4320 and 4330 each have 40 hours of required clinical rotation time. Typically, students can expect to complete 4 hours a week for 10 weeks during the semester. These hours must be completed as outlined in the syllabus in order to successfully pass the course. If a student does not complete all of the assigned hours, the highest grade the student can receive is a C- for the course.
The following requirements must be completed prior to embarking on a clinical experience in RECTH 4300.