J. George Jones Jr. & Velma Rife Jones Scholarship
Application Deadline: February 15, 2017 by 4:30 PM (Applications will be accepted starting January 9, 2017)
- At least one annual scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding undergraduate student pursuing a degree in the College of Health. Recipients of these scholarships will be known as J. George Jones Jr. & Velma Rife Jones Scholar(s).
- Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Dean of the College of Health and a selection committee.
- The scholarship award will be paid in two equal payments over the course of the academic year.
Scholarship Selection Criteria:
- The scholarship recipient must maintain a minimum of 12 semester hours for two of the three semesters during the academic year the scholarship is disbursed.
- The scholarship recipient must have been enrolled a minimum of 12 semester hours for two of the three semesters prior to the year of application.
- The scholarship recipient is expected to attend University of Utah Health's Scholarship luncheon in October.
- Applicant must be a major within the College of Health. If the scholarship recipient changes majors within the College of Health, the scholarship will not be affected. If the scholarship recipient changes majors to a discipline outside the College of Health, s/he forfeits the remainder of the scholarship.
- Application will be disqualified if not submitted correctly, completely, and timely.
The following must be included in your scholarship application:
- Completed scholarship application. (See green "Scholarship Application" tab found on this page).
- At the request of the donors, qualified applicants who are from the Tintic, Delta, or Fillmore districts or who are descendants may be given preference if all criteria have been met and applicant is well-qualified.
- A well-written and compelling personal statement, no longer than two pages that includes a brief history of yourself, your academic and professional goals, reasons why you feel you are a strong candidate for this scholarship.
- A list of all scholarships and financial aid that you have received while attending the University of Utah.
- A list of any pertinent accomplishments, honors, or special awards of recognition you have received.
- A description of your community involvement and/or university activities.
- A current (fall semester) My Degree Dashboard (Formerly DARS) or transcript with grades. If you have been at the University of Utah for less than two semesters, please submit a transcript from other schools attended.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters must be signed and sealed with the author’s signature across the envelope flap.
- Involvement in activities that advance the mission and goals of the College of Health.
- Distinctive strengths (community service, leadership skills, etc.)
Each scholarship in the College of Health, requires a separate application, statement, letters of recommendation, and other required documenation. Send to: University Of Utah, Sorenson Legacy Foundation for Student Success, ATTN. Lorraine Brown, 250 South 1850 East, Room 200, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-0920.