How to Apply
All PhD applicants must meet the minimum requirements for admissions enforced by The Graduate School of the University of Utah.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- A master's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- A 3.00 or higher undergraduate weighted mean GPA (this is a calculation of the average of combined GPAs from all institutions attended). If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.00, a GPA will be calculated based on the last 60 semester hours of the undergraduate work for admission consideration. A GPA of 3.00 from a higher degree (master's) will also be considered.
- GRE score of 300 or higher on the combined verbal and quantitative sections and a 4 on the written portion
- International applications only: A minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT (550 pBT) or better, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 or better.
We do not require any pre-requisite courses, but PhD applicants
- must have completed a master's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- are strongly encouraged to meet with the Director of Graduate Studies and/or other faculty before applying to the program
Application Deadline: January 15th
PhD program applications are accepted once a year for summer or fall consideration. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Prospective graduate students apply for admission through the University of Utah ApplyYourself online application system.
The Health Promotion and Education Program requires submission of the following items in the ApplyYourself online application system:
- Current resume
- A 2-3 page Statement of Purpose that includes:
- Research interests
- Potential faculty sponsor
- Professional goals
- Motivation for seeking a graduate degree in Health Promotion and Education
- Writing sample (essay, thesis, publication or paper)
- Three recommendation letters. Two of the letters must be from individuals who can speak to your academic abilities. Preference given to letters written by individuals from your post-secondary educational experience with at least the degree to which you are seeking. They will be notified by email to complete and submit an electronic recommendation form via the application system. Our recommendation is that you waive the right to review your letters because we believe we receive a more accurate response.
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended
- Upload the documents to the application system
- If formally admitted to the program, official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from all previous schools attended.
- GRE score of 300 or higher on the combined verbal and quantitative sections of the test and a 4 on the written portion
- Proof of English Proficiency (international applicants only)
- TOEFL: 80 iBT or 550 pBT
- IELTS: 6.5
Domestic Graduate Admissions: www.admissions.utah.edu/apply/graduate/
International Graduate Admissions: www.admissions.utah.edu/apply/international/graduate.php
Please refer to the U of U Graduate School Student Resources page for more information and access to the academic calendar, grad school policies, and tuition rates.