How to Apply
We do not require any pre-requisite courses, but applicants must meet the minimum requirements for admissions enforced by The Graduate School of the University of Utah.
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university
- A 3.00 or higher undergraduate weighted mean GPA (this is a calculation of the average of combined GPAs from all institutions attended). If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.00, a GPA will be calculated based on the last 60 semester hours of the undergraduate work for admission consideration.
- International applications only: A minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT (550 pBT) or better, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 or better.
Department Application Deadline
Application Deadline: March 1st
MS program applications are accepted once a year for summer or fall consideration. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Prospective graduate students apply for admission through the University of Utah ApplyYourself online application system.
The Department of Health Promotion and Education requires submission of the following items in the ApplyYourself online application system:
- The track you plan to pursue (only select ONE).
- Thesis (must submit GRE scores)
- Current resume
- A 1-2 page Statement of Purpose that includes:
- Non-thesis or thesis track
- Interest area
- Professional goals
- Motivation for seeking a graduate degree in Health Promotion and Education
- Three recommendation letters from individuals who can speak to your academic abilities. Preference given to letters written by individuals from your post-secondary educational experience with at least the degree to which you are seeking. The letters are submitted electronically in the application system. Our recommendation is that you waive the right to review your letters because we believe we receive a more accurate response.
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended
- Upload the documents to the application system
- If formally admitted to the program, official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from all previous schools attended.
- GRE scores of 300 or higher on the combined verbal and quantitative sections of the test and a 4 on the written portion (thesis track applicants only)
International applicants must submit proof of English proficiency.
- TOEFL requirement: 80 iBT or 550 pBT
- IELTS requirement: 6.5
Domestic Graduate Admissions: www.admissions.utah.edu/apply/graduate/
International Graduate Admissions: target="_blankwww.admissions.utah.edu/apply/international/graduate.php
Please refer to the U of U Graduate School Student Resources page for more information and access to the academic calendar, grad school policies, and tuition rates.
The applicant will receive an initial "recommendation for admission" from the program once the Graduate Committee makes a recommendation of acceptance to the graduate program. In addition, The Office of Admissions will send an official letter of acceptance once they have verified transcripts, a 3.00 GPA, and completion of a baccalaureate degree.
A faculty advisor will be assigned to help you map out your coursework before beginning the program.