Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the application deadline?
The submission deadline for PhD applicants is January 15th. The deadlines for MS applicants is March 1st.
2. How soon will I hear on a decision after submitting my application?
Applicants can expect to hear of a decision within 3-4 weeks after the deadline.
3. How many students are accepted each year?
Approximately 15-20 new master's students are admitted every year. There are generally 3-4 PhD applicants, and 1-2 are accepted each year.
4. Is the GRE required?
The GRE is required for the master's program thesis track and PhD program. It is not required for the master's program non-thesis track.
5. What is the average grade point average for students who apply to the program?
The average undergraduate weighted mean GPA of master's program applicants is approximately 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
6. Where do I send my transcripts?
Unofficial transcripts from all previous schools attended should be uploaded to the online application system prior to submission. After formal admittance to the graduate program, official transcripts must be sent from all previous schools attended directly to the University of Utah Office of Admissions (201 S 1460 E, Room 250 S SSB, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112). Failure to submit this documentation in a timely manner can delay admission to the program.
7. Can I apply to the MS or PhD program without an undergraduate degree in Health Promotion and Education?
Yes. We have students who begin the graduate program with backgrounds in exercise science, psychology, social science (women's studies), nursing, paramedic, education, and global studies.