- All listed courses are required.
- Register for thesis credit (CSD 6970) in the semester in which the thesis is defended and one additional semester; register for a total of 6 credits over the masters program.
- Students may be allowed to audit two required courses (up to 6 credits) for the six thesis credits. The specific courses being substituted MUST be chosen in consultation with the student’s thesis committee.
- Work on thesis is encouraged prior to registration for credit.
- Students must be registered for at least 3 thesis credits in the semester in which the thesis is defended (including Summer.)
Thesis Course Substitution List Examples
- Cleft Palate
- University of Utah Health's Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic is a full-time community clinic as well as a clinical training site. The clinic operates from the first to last day of each semester, including finals week. Note: The clinic is not closed during fall and spring breaks, and student clinicians are expected to see their clients during those times.
- Clients are scheduled between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm on Mondays through Fridays.
- Specific times will be determined by the clinic director, according to client needs.
- Unavailability to meet with clients at necessary times may prolong a student’s program including delaying externship assignments and graduation.
- Two externships are required (more may be completed if desired).
- All students are required to complete one of their externships in a public or private school setting.
- The second externship may be completed in a setting of student’s choice based on clinical areas of interest and clinical training needs. Most students complete their second externship in an inpatient or outpatient medical facility.
- Minimum requirements for each of the two required externships are:
- Ten weeks in duration
- At least 4 full days per week on site.
- Specific externship sites may have additional time requirements.
- Externships are completed during the second spring semester (fifth and final semester) of the graduate program.
- Prior to beginning externships, students must complete a minimum of 150 clock hours in the department clinics and receive approval of Clinic Director.
Sequence of SLP Masters Program (2 Year)
Fall: 1st Year
|CSD 6210||Articulation & Phonology||3|
|CSD 6330||Dev. Lang. Dis. In Young Children||3|
|CSD 7010||L & L Dis. in School-Age Children||3|
|CSD 6710||Clinic Practicum||1|
Spring: 1st Year
|CSD 6220||Voice Disorders||3|
|CSD 6230||Fluency Disorders||2|
|CSD 6340||Autism Spectrum Disorders||2|
|CSD 7930||Scientific Inquiry in SLP||3|
|CSD 6710||Clinic Practicum||3|
Summer: 1st Year
|CSD 6410||Cross-Cultural Competency Using Interpreters||2|
|CSD 6830||Counseling in CSD||1|
|CSD 6800||Summer Seminar Series||1|
|CSD 6250||Motor Speech Disorders||2|
|CSD 7700||Advanced Clinic Practicum||3|
Fall: 2nd year
|CSD 7410||Cognitive-Comm. Disorders||3|
|CSD 7832||Swall Dis/Med Management Issues||3|
|CSD 7430||Cleft Palate & Craniofacial Dis||2|
|CSD 7700||Advanced Clinic Practicum||1|
Spring: 2nd year
|CSD 6720*||Audiology Clinic Practicum||2|
Summer: 2nd year
|CSD 7710 Externship Continued (do not register)|
|Total Required Graduate Credit Hours||55.5|